Tribalectic Body Jewelry Store - Body Piercing Jewelry and Accessories Login |  Sign Up |  View Cart |  Checkout
Shopping Cart# of Items: 0 Subtotal: $0.00
Visit our Facebook page Visit our MySpace page Visit our Twitter page
Shop Catalog By

New to piercing? Post your questions or share your experiences here.

Moderators: Jwiggles, Mrs.Jen, BadKiTtY

Return to Never Been Pierced Forum

Practical considerations of a PA

Postby kcmil » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Until now, I never once in my life thought I would ever consider a body piercing. However as of late, I have been finding myself intensely fascinated with the idea of a Prince Albert. I must confess that thinking about having something permanently installed in such an intimate area is strangely exciting.

I have been reading a wealth of information regarding PA piercings since I discovered my interest in them, but there are some considerations that I have not found answers to yet. Because my questions are many and varied, I believe it would only be respectful to confine my stream-of-thought to it's own thread for the time being.

Here goes, in no particular order:
    1.) Will I be able to drive myself home safely immediately after receiving a PA piercing? Because I am a very private individual, I am not comfortable with anyone in my life knowing what I am up to. This means I must be solely responsible for somehow getting myself to and from my piercer of choice.

2.) Will the healing process conflict with my work? I work in the electrical industry as my day job, and as such I am required to get physical on a day-to-day basis. My job necessitates that I be able to freely crouch, stoop, kneel, push, pull, lift, carry, and crawl in and around uncontrolled environments on any given day. Would 9-12 days be enough time for the piercing to sufficiently heal to safely tolerate these activities? Would the piercing be likely to cause me any sort of job-disrupting discomfort in this situation, or will I need to plan to be out of commission for a longer period of time?

3.) I find great excitement in the prospect of potentially being able to stretch my PA to #2/0, 3/0, or possibly(?) even larger proportions years down the road. Are there any health or safety considerations to be aware of regarding this? Any hard-earned wisdom or first-hand stories someone would like to share?

I have read that it is wise for people considering this sort of thing to locate their piercing farther away from their urethra, but how far exactly is far enough? Is there such a thing as too far?

4.) After browsing the choices of PA jewelry available (and I must say I am very impressed by the selection and pricing offered by this site), I am finding that a curved barbell appeals most to me - at least to begin with. My reasoning being that it's design would appear to prevent unwanted movement within the urethra (doesn't spin like a ring), and it has no excessively-protruding parts that could foreseeably twist or -god forbid- snag. u:Aaahhh

My main questions here are in regards to the threaded balls found on barbells... Are larger balls particularly cumbersome or annoying compared to the 'standard' balls that come with the piece from the manufacturer? If I choose to install larger balls, will the added weight cause any harm to the piercing before/after it has healed? Will heavier balls also produce the same sort of 'natural stretching' effect that people have written about in reference to captive-bead rings?

5.) Can anyone here relate to having a fear of needles? How can you mentally prepare yourself for having a very large, very sharp needle being poked into such a delicate area? Having learned over the years that I do not have an extremely high pain tolerance, how effective are topical anesthetics like Lidocaine at reducing the pain involved in the procedure?

6.) What is it like living with a PA on a daily basis? How has it affected your daytimes and weekdays? Have you had to make any alterations to the way you do things in your normal life? Do you ever encounter any awkward or annoying situations in public (aside from the well-known problem of relieving oneself)?
That covers most of the questions I have about getting a PA piercing... for now.

For the sake of discussion, let it be known that I have no plans set for getting a PA yet... This is something I will have to contemplate and weigh for some time. I want to be sure this is something I really want, and not just a passing interest.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my concerns (and hopefully responding).
kcmil Removed his PA after 7 weeks
Updated 8 weeks ago

Postby pangrametry » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:26 pm

I can answer 5 and kind of 6, and as to 1, I was able to walk back to my dorm (3 blocks).

5: I had a fear of needles. The PA fixed that for me. To prep, breathe deep and relax. I brought a stress ball to help and squeezed while the needle went through, but honestly it hurt a smidgen less than a flu shot, it isn't bad at all. Peeing for the first week is a different story, it burns, especially if you're dehydrated.

6: Just peeing, especially in a toilet bowl, is a royal PITA, you will have to sit down for it, at least at first. Aside from that, I can walk around no problem and have yet to have any awkward or annoying situations, and can use a urinal just fine.

Other than that, talk to a piercer if you have questions, but otherwise, just do it, it's worth it!
pangrametry

Postby highdesert » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 am

All good thoughts to have. Driving after getting a pa for me was a non issue. Have a soda afterwards to help settle nerves and relax. I found with mine that I could fully function at my job the next day. Yes extra care must took not to bump things around and keep a eye out for bleeding. I too don't like needles, but the needle work was over so fast that I didn't havetime to get worked up about it. Hope some of this elps
highdesert made it to 0ga
Updated 27 weeks ago

Postby Kiltedhiker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:03 am

You ask many good questions.
1- yes

2- no, you will encounter the occasional "crusties" that my bite you during the day, but urinating will usually clear those up. You will look forward to your morning and evening warm sea salt soaks until you are fully healed. I was pierced on a Friday and went to work on Monday, (I even went shopping with my wife after I got home from the piercer)

3- Stretching is for another discussion and happens, if done properly, down the road once you are fully healed. As for size, it all depends on you. And yes, if you intend to go with larger gauges, you will want to have the piercing a little further back, unless you are wanting a Frenum piercing too, then you have to watch it. Just make sure you are well off the glans.

4- Your first jewelry will most likely be a captive bead ring. I would suggest that it be no smaller than 8g and I would use a 3/8-7/16 bead. If you can get a piercer to start you at 6g, you'll be about 4 months ahead of the game.

5- If you have a fear of needles, get over it lol. You will be lying down, so if you faint, you won't fall. The pain is no more than a quick pinch.

6- As for living with a PA, I've had mine for a little over 6 years. At this point, I could take it or leave it. I know there will be the majority of men here who will disagree. When I first had it done, I thought every man should have this done. I wore it non-stop for about 4 years and went from an 8g to a 0g in that time frame. About 2 years ago, I took it out - and didn't put it back in for a year. I even thought of having the fistula repaired so it would close completely, but I didn't do that. Now, I wear it about a week a month. As for the daily routine? You figure out how to pee standing up without peeing all over your pants and shoes, it's not difficult. I don't even need to wear the jewelry to pee standing up anymore, so it's no big deal. You really don't have to sit.

Find a good piercer - a really good piercer who KNOWS what he/she is doing and has done a lot of these. I've seen a few here that are pretty scary. It is a great piercing, but if I were to do this again, I probably would get a Frenum and a Lorum/Hafda and skip the PA.

Kiltedhiker

Postby kcmil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank you for your quick responses.

Kiltedhiker brings up another good point:

In my readings, some people recommend starting with 8awg, while others swear by #10 piercings.

The overall trend that I am seeing is that 10 gauge piercings tend to stop bleeding more quickly, while #8s tend to be more comfortable to wear. Is this observation accurate?

However, wouldn't a larger starting gauge potentially generate more cross-linked scar tissue as the body heals - and thereby make it more difficult to stretch to larger sizes in the future?
Updated 8 weeks ago

Postby macwanabe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:40 am

I was pierced at 10 and immediately stretched to 8, had no bleeding and I would recommend it as a minimum would have gone to 6 if I knew what I know now. No difference in scar tissue. I am currently at 0g.
macwanabe Added new photos
Updated 22 weeks ago

Postby mikenj1979 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 am

I found the larger the gauge the more comfortable the jewelry was, maybe less movement.
mikenj1979

Postby kcmil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:38 pm

I've found an APP-accredited piercer that I think I am comfortable with. I'll begin gathering a couple of supplies for the healing stage (non-iodized salt, etc), and then find an opportune time to schedule an appointment within the next two months.

I think a larger gauge is indeed the safer way to go for me, since I've read repeatedly that bigger jewelry is often more comfortable. (I can't be be having sudden pain down there while I'm dressed up in 5 layers of winter clothes and PPE, with nowhere to duck into and make 'field adjustments'.)

I will talk to the piercer while I am there, and see if they feel comfortable with piercing at either 8 or 6 gauge. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Looking forward to this.
Updated 8 weeks ago

Postby tsturbo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 am

I can appreciate all of your questions but you will discover a lot of your answers on your journey u:D
I started with a curved bar bell, now it is my least favorite type. You will experiment with many different types and sizes on your journey. I switch it up about 1x per month, 0-4 gauge, Circular bar bell, Tribal Dream Ring, captive ball ring, screw on ball ring, all in different gauges, diameter, and weight as some are Titanium and some Stainless.

Have some feminine pads at home for when you return from getting pierced. I would also recommend having some tighter briefs around with the pad as you will more than likely have some bleeding the first day or two.

8-6 gauge is great for PA, I would not go 10 gauge, too small IMO. Keep us posted and good luck!
Nipples 14g Bar Bells
PA 2g 1/2" ring
Ears 2g titanium tunnels
Triple Guiche piercing
One shoulder tat, two arm tats
tsturbo Is happily healing his new triple Guiche!
Updated 11 weeks ago

Postby Kiltedhiker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:38 am

macwanabe wrote:I was pierced at 10 and immediately stretched to 8, had no bleeding and I would recommend it as a minimum would have gone to 6 if I knew what I know now. No difference in scar tissue. I am currently at 0g.

I agree with Mac. I was done the same way, but there was considerable bleeding the first night. It just depends on the person. The best ring I had in the beginning was my 6g. It was super comfortable. Everything up from that has been great.

Kiltedhiker

Next

Return to Never Been Pierced Forum